- March 15, 2017
- T Richard
I’m often asked how to make money blogging so want in this article to lay out some basic steps that I see most bloggers who make a living from blogging go through.
Here is how to make money from a blog:
- Set up your blog
- Start creating useful content
- Get off your blog and start finding readers
- Build engagement with the readers that come
- Start making money from the readership you have through one or more of a variety of income streams
Sounds easy doesn’t it! On some levels the process is simple – but you need to know up front that there’s a lot to each step and below I’m going to give you some pointers on each including some further reading.
Here’s how to make money from a blog.
1. Start a Blog
Clearly, if you want to make money blogging, you must have a blog. If you don’t already have one, no worries.
Can I start a blog for free and make money?
This is a common question and the answer is yes. However, I would caution you against it. The reason is, when you use a free service, you don’t have full control over your blog—the free service you are using does. This can be risky, especially if you will rely on your blog for income. A self-hosted WordPress blog is my recommendation and can be started for as little as $5-$10 a month.
Choose a cheap web hosting like Hostek
2. Start Creating Useful Content
Once you have a blog, write useful content. Draw from your expertise & experience. Write informative posts and articles about your chosen topic. Make your content excellent.
The key with creating content is to make it as useful as possible. Focus upon creating content that changes people’s lives in some way will be the type of content that people will value the most and it will help people to feel like they know, like and trust you – which is really important if you later want to make money from your blog.
What should I blog about?
If you’re stumped, here are ideas for posts readers will respond to:
- Solve a problem
- Relieve a fear
- Teach something new
- Explain how to reach a goal
- About your experience
- Own a new equipment (Camera, HD Tv, Smart Phone, Toys, Game)
In order to make money, you must have blog visitors. But in order to have blog visitors, you must have content worthy of a visit.
3. Build relationships with others on social media and around the web
If you want to make money from your blog you need to not only focus upon building a great blog but it is also necessary to get off your blog and to start promoting it.
Once you know who you’re hoping to have read your blog ask yourself where that type of person might already be gathering online. Begin to list where they might be gathering:
- Are they reading certain blogs? List the top 3
- Are they participating in certain forums? List the top 3
- Are they listening to podcasts? List the top 3
- Are they engaging on certain social networks? List the top 3
- Which accounts are they following on each of these social networks? List the top 3
Which social media sites should I use?
With so many social media sites, it’s hard to know where to start.
Is your blog for moms of preschoolers? Facebook and Pinterest might be best. Is your blog for business executives? LinkedIn and Twitter are probably safe bets.
4. Build engagement with the readers that come
Keep growing in the knowledge of your craft so the content you produce gets increasingly deep and valuable. Use your blog to get exposure, build authority, gain trust and be helpful.
Look after the readers you already have well and you’ll find they spread the word of your blog for you and help make your blog even more widely read.
Having an engaged reader is also much easier to make money from.
5. Start making money from the readership you have through one or more of a variety of income streams
Once you’ve started your blog, created some excellent content, built some relationships and given thought to your branding and reputation, start thinking about ways to generate blogging income.
There’s no avoiding that what we’ve covered is a lot of work but if you do it well you’ll be setting yourself up well and giving yourself every chance of being able to make money from your blog.
With these foundations in place you’re now ready to start attempting to make money from your blog but you do need to be aware that just because you have set up your blog, have content and have engaged readers that the money won’t just automatically flow.
It takes continued work and experimentation to make money from your blog.
Things you should know about making money blogging
- Much of the money bloggers make doesn’t come from blogging directly. A blog is a platform or online home base. After proving their trustworthiness, bloggers use their blogs as springboards to launch other products & services that bring in income. Examples are ebooks, books, speaking gigs, products, ecourses, etc.
- If you want to make money blogging, it takes time, creativity and hustle—a lot of all three—but it’s absolutely doable.
- Each blogger has a different combination of income streams. There is no “right” way and that’s the beauty of it. There are endless possibilities. Find a combination that works for you or make up your own.
- Income streams ebb and flow, so successful bloggers are constantly exploring new ways to make money. The key to making good money as a blogger is to have multiple streams of income. Even small trickles of money coming from various sources over time can add up.
- The best way to start monetizing is to let it happen organically. Hopefully you are blogging about something you enjoy. As you grow, monetize (make money) in ways that would most suit you and your audience. For example, blogging about knitting? Sell knitting patterns. Blogging about fly fishing? Sell your services as a fly fishing guide. Blogging about being a preschool teacher? Sell preschool curriculum.
Streams of income used by bloggers
Following is a list of income streams bloggers adopt, broken down into five main categories:
- Affiliate Marketing
- Digital Products
- Physical Products